Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Natural Hair Sucks in Media/ Hollywood

Natural Hair in Media/Hollywood

I don’t watch too much television, as I am not impressed with the images that are presently being portrayed on the screen. On the days that I do find myself watching T.V., I have seen an influx of natural hair queens & kings on the screen. But to my dismay these women and men, in my opinion, are not representing our beautiful natural styles to the upmost. I say this because most of the time when I see a black queen or king on the screen their natural hair is just blah, or just sitting there, doing nothing.

I had a conversation with a talent scout for T.V. and movies and was unfortunately advised that many of our natural men and women are at the mercy of a hairstylist who has no knowledge of natural hair.  They are intimidated by it and have no clue as to what to do with “this hair”. Now these stylists are well decorated and have years of training and styling under their belts. They are great at what they do, just not natural hair. So in an effort to tame this “unruly hair” they just grab some mousse and apply it to the hair then spray with shine mist and taaaahdaaaah, camera ready.  (NOOOOT)

In this day and age where naturals are everywhere, why haven’t the television and movies employed some natural hairstylist to be on set to give life to such gorgeous hair? Why continue utilizing the same techniques that don’t work for natural manes? I would like to see some diversity on the screen when it comes to our natural kings and queens. Hell, if I have to volunteer my services I would. We can’t continue to allow our men and women to be disrespected on the big or small screen by stylist that have no clue as to what to do with our hair. There are plenty of talented stylist such as myself and many others that can give life and pizzazz to natural coifs.

The main reason you see so many weaves and wigs on television and movies is because, the stylist that are on set only have talent for straighter hair textures. Its sad when you know someone is natural but yet every time they are on screen you see them in a wig or weave. Sometimes they are not the best wig or extensions install. Matter of fact there is one producer that reigns in black movies and because the budget is so cheap for hair many of the actors or actresses hair look a H.ot A.zz M.ess (HAM). I’m like dude can you at least extend the hair budget so the hair can at least look be-weavable! LOL :-D 

Even Halle Berry
had an awful wig on in the movie “The Call”
directed by Brad Anderson distributed by TriStar Pictures with studios by Troika Pictures, WWE Studios and Stage 6 Films. They had a $13 million dollar budget but opted for a $20 wig from the local beauty supply store in the hood. IJS LMAO


Kimberly Elise Big Beautiful Natural Hair

Kimberly in For Colored Girls in a wig


Viola Davis gorgeous TWA

Viola in synthetic wig



Anywhoooo, I just want to see a much better job of natural hair styles in movies and television. Like I said before, I would be willing to volunteer my services at least once to ABC, NBC, UPN, BOUNCE, TBS, FOX, Tyler Perry Studios, LionsGate, Code Black, Screen Gems and etc. (I know a shameless plug, but hey, why not? LOL) :-) So no matter if its natural hair or locs, we as a community of locstars and naturalistas want to see more diversity on the big and small screen with more amazing hair styles that represent us in a phenomenal light! Oh and by the way some of us Natural hairstylist can style all textures of hair, no one trick ponies over here, because it is easy to S.imply K.eep Y.our H.air H.ealthy.


No comments:

Post a Comment